Encouraging and enabling our community to reduce waste and increase recycling. Organized as a 501(c)(3) in 1998, Green Star encourages the reuse of materials, reduction of unnecessary waste, and increased recycling efforts in Interior Alaska. Green Star accomplishes its mission by collecting electronics for recycling from businesses and households, coordinating special event recycling for community events large and small, and providing educational outreach to the Fairbanks area.
How Pick.Click.Give. makes a difference
Free Electronics Recycling Depot the 3rd Friday & Saturday of every month:
• Green Star is the only organization in the Interior of Alaska that provides electronics recycling. More than 728 tons of electronic waste (e-waste) has been recycled since 2006.
• In 2016, the Electronics Recycling Depot kept 171 tons of electronics out of the FNSB landfill. The 2018 goal is to recycle 240 tons of e-waste.
Special Event Recycling:
• Green Star partners with a variety of community organizations to provide recycling bins at special events and coordinate volunteers who collect and sort recyclable materials.
• You may have seen them at the Arctic Winter Games, Midnight Sun Festivals, and Golden Wheel Amusements Summer Spectacular.
• Every year Green Star helps out with Clean Up Day in May and Stream Clean Up Day in June.
• Green Star published the first edition of the Fairbanks Recycling Guide in August 2011. This comprehensive resource includes valuable information to help community members navigate the recycling scene in Fairbanks. This guide is updated, published, and distributed throughout the community annually. The Guide is sent to more than 40,000 households and businesses annually through the USPSs Every Door Direct Mail program.
•We are working on updating our Recycling Education Curriculum that goes out to middle schools to teach students the need for and ways to recycle locally.