HPAC is a small, grassroots, non-profit, non-agency, community supported avalanche center that became a 501c3 non-profit in 2019. We are one of only nine non-government funded avalanche centers in the country. HPAC not only provides specific avalanche forecasting information but also provides general backcountry travel information and advice.
We provide free lifesaving information throughout the winter season through weekly advisories, conditions summaries, and professional observations. HPAC provides 50 to 60 avalanche forecasts per season, mid-November through mid-April, regular social media posts and weather updates during every significant weather event from October through the end of April, an annual free rescue workshop and educational opportunities at local public high schools and other youth organizations.
How Pick.Click.Give. makes a difference
Your contribution directly supports:
- our increased capacity to provide frequent updates on changing avalanche conditions, winter storm warnings, and travel advice
- free public avalanche education in our Mat-Su Valley public schools
- the installation and maintenance of two remote weather stations and three publicly viewable webcams in Hatcher Pass
- "road run reports" viewable on social media, aimed at young skiers and riders accessing roadside avalanche terrain
- free educational events and workshops hosted in our community